Saturday, October 3, 2009

Falling into fall....


It's been over 15 years since I've experienced a true fall and I forget how beautiful and sad and fast it is when it happens.  Beautiful because on a sunny day the light hitting the maple and aspen and spruce leaves creates of halo of light that is other worldly.  Sad because there is no denying that the end of summer, of warm days, of sunshine and of evenings sitting outside feels like the last call after a long night with old friends.  Fall is a more ambitious season.  It is the season of doing, of work and school, of accomplishing.  Who doesn't feel inspired to think more, create more, be more on a 50 degree crisp morning.  But my emotions are still trailing, holding on to summer, to flowers, to warmth, to thin dresses and to all things green.  I know I will lose this battle as I did for so many years as a kid.   I am a summer baby, born on June 30th, at the peak of all things summer, so I embrace fall with all the reserve of a kindergardener on the first day of school.  I love all the external manifestations of change, of new beginnings and of golden days, but I cling to the season of my native self, summer.   

2 comments:

  1. muy bueno el blog, saludos desde argentina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex - you need to write a book. You are so eloquent in your prose. You make me tear up.

    ReplyDelete