Thursday, October 22, 2009

Boulder Modernsim: Charles A. Haertling

Altadena house...


Boulder Haertling house

I was walking home from the trails today and stumbled upon this house. It took my breath away, not just because it is stunning, but because of how much it reminded me of our house in Altadena. After a little sleuthing on the internet, I discovered that it was a house designed by Charles A. Haertling, a Boulder architect and civic leader. The Menkick House was completed in 1970 and was sited in the middle of beautiful rock out-cropping. Haertling designed many modern gems in Boulder until his death in 1984 at the age of 55.


2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. I was surprised to find an I.M. Pei building here in Boulder the other day. My in-laws and I took a trip to South Boulder to the NCAR facility (my father-in-law is a physicist and weather reportage lover). The exhibit inside is a bit dated, but the structure is timeless. Please put on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know just where this house it, any i LOVE it so much! so happy to see someone else caught it and appreciated the beauty... with a few renovations this thing would be sooo ideal! and a quiet little neighborhood too! ahh days in boulder...

    ReplyDelete