Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Take me out the Ball Park

It would be a stretch to say that I love baseball. I think it is fair to say that I like baseball, occasionally. Now that Cole is on a North Boulder Little League team (his 5th LL season) and I have 12 games on my calendar and 12 post game, team-building dinners also on my calendar, I think it is time to face the challenge: am I going to remain uncommitted to this sport, vague about the rules and rituals, annoyed by the two hour games or am I going to embrace and enjoy the season, follow the plays and count the RBIs and find my powerful voice to cheer the team to their wins. The motivation to choose the latter course is obvious. To know Cole is to know about his love for baseball. Many boys gravitate to sports early, and I can trace Cole's love of a bat and ball to age 2, when he hit his first plastic ball across the lawn. From there it progressed to a loyalty to the Yankees (my NY roots run strong) and a joy of playing the game. There are obvious advantages to being on a team, like discipline and camaraderie and sportsmanship. Plus, he gets to experience firsthand one of America's most treasured and enduring pastimes, something most people only do from their couch or stadium stands. So after my private pep talk, I tried on my new attitude. I found my proud and loud mom-in-the-bleachers voice and tested it out with calls like “Good eye!” and “Good swing!” and “Nice try”. After two hours and barely enough light to see the ball, the game ended a disappointing 5-6 and just a little part of me wished we had another inning to even the score.

1 comment:

  1. Alex, I was thinking just yesterday about how much I enjoy reading your blog. You are such a lovely writer and thinker, one of my favorites of all time. Thank you for keeping your blog and also for always including such amazing pictures of your family and lives. - Leslie

    ReplyDelete