Tuesday, April 27, 2010

An education



I had a poignant moment last night to reflect on life, on opportunities, on being lucky. It began while I was putting Quinn to bed and a simple statement by Quinn:

Quinn: "I want us to buy this house." (we are renting a lovely house in Boulder)
Alex: "It's a possibility, however, I can't make any promises. It is an expensive house."
Quinn: "I can give you some money. I have some ones and some fives."
Alex: "How nice of you. But I want you save your money."
Quinn: "Oh, like for college."
Alex: "Yes, exactly."

Indeed, it was a nice moment, but I didn't feel the full impact of the short conversation until hours later, after I had watched the heartbreaking movie "Precious". Everyone knows the story by now: young teenage girl abused to a breaking point by her mother and father, only to be saved by educators who help her discover the meaning of friendship and love. I have to admit I could barely fathom the abuse she endured. Her mother's abuse was so wicked and bitter, from verbal and physical assaults to seething hostility towards Precious's desire for an education. The contrast between Precious's life and Quinn's life couldn't be more stark, their home environments more opposite, their opportunities more different. I winced through the whole movie and felt heavy-hearted going to bed. Precious didn't choose her parents and neither did Quinn. When I am feeling low about my parenting abilities, I will try to remember Quinn's last comment and know that he will probably be okay. Maybe better than okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment