Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Hiking the Flatirons

The boys and I hiked up to the Flatirons this morning. The Flatirons, named by pioneer women after the flat, metal irons used to iron their clothes, are 5 stunning rock formations that are Boulder's Golden Gate Bridge, a welcoming and defining landmark of the town that makes its way into nearly every Boulder postcard or poster. I see them everyday, while driving to Target, or walking in the neighborhood or even catching a small glimpse out of our second story window. The trailhead leading to the Flatirons is only a 5 minute drive from our house, but despite its popularity and beauty, we just hadn't made it up there...until now. Cole and Carson were hiking champs, blazing up the trail enthusiastically, and enjoying the surroundings like adults who had been kept in windowless offices for too long. They gushed at the beauty of the trail, grew giddy at the heights and views and repeatedly told me that they wanted to come back as soon as we could. Not a whine or a complaint or a "I'm too tired, I want to go back". I love spending my time with my boys when we get to be this happy, this unencumbered, this free from everything that makes us rub each other wrong. We've found this same state of happiness while biking and skiing together. After today, I think we can add hiking to the list.


1 comment:

  1. great photo! i love that hike and have done it a few times with the girls, though we've definitely heard "i'm tired!" on the way up...

    ReplyDelete