Saturday, August 6, 2011

Bay Windows

south bay window before

south bay under consturction

south bay window after
west bay window before

west bay window desconstructed

west bay window reconstructed
One of the most beautiful features of our home at 1109 Pine are the deep bay windows.  Because the exterior walls are a foot and half thick, the bay windows are extra deep.  In new construction where the walls are much thinner, a bay window will not be as deep.  It took a conversation with my contractor Joel to realize why our bay windows are this way.  And as he was explaining to me the difference in exterior wall depth between old construction and new construction, it reminded me of a book my dear friend Amy Whist had recommended called "The Architecture of Happiness" by Alain de Botton.  The book explores the philosophy and psychology of architecture, examining things such as the shapes of windows or the curve of a chair to explain why our surroundings can impact our happiness--or unhappiness.  It's a fascinating subject and reminds me why I have often had a very visceral reaction to homes that I've visited or spaces that I frequent.  Of course, our reactions can be very personal, subjective really, just as some people prefer an open living plan and others thrive in cozy, intimate environments.    But when we actually consider for a moment that the architecture that surrounds us, especially our homes, work spaces, and schools, affects our happiness, we are a small step closer to understanding ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment