Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Quinn in NYC

On the roof at the Met

5th Avenue statue

Quinn and Jonathan

The earrings

A belated birthday celebration

At Rag and Bone in NYC

Trying on clothes in the cold room at the Burton Store

Enjoying the perks of getting bumped up to seat 6A
On my recent trip to NYC, my traveling companion was my 7-year-old son, Quinn.  As anyone with more than one child knows, traveling with just one child is a wonderful treat, both for the parent and the child.  It was so successful, in fact, that I am tempted to start an annual tradition of taking one of the boys traveling with me.  For the first three days, before my sister and niece arrived, it was just Quinn and me.  On our second day in New York we traveled to Brooklyn by subway to see my friends Jonathan and Barbara and their kids.  Jonathan is an artist and he was selling his paintings at a street fair in Park Slope.  At the booth next to him,  a woman was selling jewelry.  While I was busy talking to Barbara and Jonathan, Quinn was sitting quietly counting the money in his wallet.  Then, a few minutes later, he asked me to come with him.  He brought me to the jewelry lady.  "I want to buy you something, Mom.  Do you like these earrings?" he asked.  Apparently, while I was busy talking, he had walked over to the jewelry booth and asked the woman if there was anything he could buy with $22. I was overwhelmed by the spirit of his thoughtfulness as well as his gumption. It was the beginning of a wonderful trip for us together.....

1 comment:

  1. Ollie did a similar thing for me today, but it was a surprise bag of Frito's corn chips from the vending machine at the pool. I was quite touched.

    Happy Birthday! I've missed your writing.

    Love love love

    ReplyDelete