Tuesday, January 12, 2010

January days


In the last 12 days, I put my mom on a plane back to New York City and picked up a friend and her son visiting from Altadena. I have been to two full day skiing clinics at Eldora, our local ski mountain, and have skied with Grant twice. I have finished a fantastic book on Los Angeles by James Frey called "Bright Shiny Morning" and started Andre Agassi's book "Open" on my mom's Kindle, which I may not be returning to her. I have watched the temperature dip early last week to minus 2 degrees then back up to 50 by Saturday. A busy beginning to 2010...

Today it was over 50, providing spring skiing conditions and the kind of sunshine that reminded me of being back in California. It was the second day of my six week Tuesday clinic at Eldora. I'm in a class with 6 other women, all of us intermediate skiers. We begin at 8:30 with a hot breakfast, ski with instruction for two hours, break for lunch and then ski for another two hours. I haven't had a lesson since I was 11, so I am learning (and unlearning) many things. I left the mountain at 2:30 after the last run to meet the boys' 3:10 bus. I have rushed to meet my kids for many things but never with a day like today in my rear view mirror.

A few words about friendship. Our visit with our dear friend Shari and her son Dylan was lovely. I now know how my friend Kris felt when all her Toronto friends came to Boulder for a surprise birthday party and then left: deeply sad. But I am happy to know that this wonderful woman who gave us so much support during our move to Boulder is the same wonderful friend when she visits us in Boulder. I just appreciate her that much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment