Sunday, December 13, 2009

Confluence




This is a picture of me and Christine Hrenya, the host of the the Mapleton Hill Sweet Treat Exchange. We are in her living room and behind us is an image of Sesame Street's Bert by an artist named Jonathan Blum. I have known Jonathan Blum for over 15 years, a Brooklyn-based artist. He's a great artist and one of the loveliest people I know. Everyone who meets Jonathan loves him. He's just that kind of person. Jonathan's art, in Boulder, in a house seven blocks from mine. This tickles me. This warms me. This seems to happen a lot in Boulder.

By "this" I mean connections like this seem to happen a lot in Boulder. Whether it is discovering that our new Toronto friends the Sustronks know our dear Toronto friends the Bridges or new friend Kita Murdock, also freshly transplanted from Los Angeles with her family, went to the same small boarding school in Connecticut as I did, the little bubble of Boulder spawns some interesting crossing of paths. Perhaps that is one of things that makes Boulder special. There are all sorts of words for this. My favorite is confluence.


2 comments:

  1. I now have your blog feeding into my Google Reader along with the NY Times and BBC news!

    Bear in mind the potential that your finding your friend's art in Boulder may have less to do with serendipity and more to do with the fact that you own or know most of the up-and-comers in the US today!

    Lots of love.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love small world occurences. Confluence is a good word for it!

    ReplyDelete